Sunday, June 28, 2009

DEEE-licious raw beets!

This recipe from everybody likes sandwiches is a really nice change of pace using raw beets.
I used the grating disc on my food processor and pushed the beets and carrots through quickly so that the grated pieces would on the thick side. I did not have any maple syrup, so I left it out. I don't think anyone would miss it.
Since I had quite a few beets, I made a bigger batch but it tasted great after more time marinating.

raw beet & carrot salad
1 large beet, julienned
3 large carrots or 5 med-smallish carrots, julienned
tangerine or orange zest
juice of 1/2 tangerine or orange
lemon zest
juice of 1/2 lemon
2-4 T olive oil
1 T dijon mustard
1 T maple syrup or honey
1/2 t fresh grated ginger
salt & pepper

Combine the beets and carrots in a bowl. Mix the zest, juice, olive oil, mustard, syrup, ginger and spices in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Taste adding in more olive oil if you find it too sharp or add in more lemon juice to make it more tart. Toss with salad and let marinate for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment